Sunday 4 November 2012

Music



Anybody that knows me knows that I am a huge music fan.  Music is one of my passions in life; I love how it can transform the soul by compounding sounds, and express emotions through sound.  I love folk rock, because it is poetry combined with emotional music.  Music expresses ideas and lessons to the listener by expression of sound.  Some music only lasts a short while, but some are timeless. 

I feel that music is transversal, it can span oceans and time if given the chance.  The lessons maybe timeless if applied to different situations.  Rubenstein defines folk music as songs with an “unknown origin derived from local environmental conditions” (82).  Folk music is truly timeless and limitless, because it can be passed down through generations and hearths and applied to different situations.  Folk culture does not have to stay within the confines of groups; it can be spread throughout the world and used to change lives and ideals and influence many generations to come, thus pushing into the popular music side.

Below I have included some music from the Middle East.  I find the Iraqi piece to be quite beautiful with many aspects of traditional stringed bands of western culture.  The other two are music videos of Popular Afghan super star Aryana Sayeed.  This is popular with everyone in Afghanistan.  What I Find interesting are the similarities to modern pop cultural music in the United States today.  I hope you enjoy.

Works Cited:

Rubenstein, James M. Contemporary Human Geography. Second Edition. 2013. Pearson Education, Inc. Glenview, IL.

Folk Song of Iraq:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMdNI3jQHrA

Popular Music of Afghanistan
http://youtu.be/oIu5saOfryE
http://youtu.be/qITsNPKgFMk

No comments:

Post a Comment